10 Best Coffee Subscription Boxes of 2021
Despite mailboxes not being as common as they were years back, it is always nice to get something in the mail. Better yet, it will even be more exciting to have your coffee delivered straight to your mail or doorstep.
With the best coffee subscription box, that is exactly what you get meaning you will never have to spend any of your precious time combing the internet for coffee or comparing several coffee brands at your local retail store.
As the name suggests, a coffee subscription box is simply a service that you subscribe for coffee to be delivered to you at the frequency of your choice, and it is increasingly becoming popular among coffee lovers.
But, as a coffee lover, you need to know more about coffee subscription box and how to choose one that suits you before getting into it. Besides explaining how to pick out a good one, here we also highlight 10 of the best coffee subscriptions to give you recommendations.
- Why You Should Use Coffee Subscription Box
- 10 Best Coffee Subscription Boxes – Review
- 1. Atlas Coffee Club – Best Overall
- 2. Blue Bottle Coffee Subscription Service – Highly Rated Pick
- 3. Bean Box – The Go-To Brand for Coffee Samplers
- 4. Driftaway Coffee – Personalized Coffee Subscription from a Small Business
- 5. JavaPresse – Great Coffee by a Great Brand
- 6. Crema – Unbeatable Variety
- 7. MistoBox – One of the Most Popular Options
- 8. Angels Cup – An Exciting Way to Enjoy Different Flavors
- 9. Trade Coffee – Matching Up Coffee Lovers with their Favorite Coffee
- 10. Nomad Coffee Club – A Taste of Different Specialty Coffee Every Month
- How to Choose Coffee Subscriptions Box
Why You Should Use Coffee Subscription Box
Different people will have different reasons for using a coffee subscription box. For some, it will be because their busy schedules do not allow them to shop around for coffee and others it is just because they find it trendy.
If you have still not bought into the idea of using a coffee subscription box, here are a few reasons you need to give it a try.
1. It is Super Convenient
For many coffee drinkers, nothing is more annoying and disheartening than waking up to an empty coffee pack as it means you cannot get your caffeine fix. But with a coffee subscription, this will never happen as you can plan to have your coffee delivered long before it runs out.
Besides this convenience, you also get your coffee delivered at your doorstep which eliminates the need to visit local coffee shops and roasters or comb through online retail stores.
2. You Always Get Fresh Coffee
If you have used both coffee subscription box and coffee from the coffee shop, you will notice that the former tends to be fresher.
Subscription box services always vacuum seal their coffee from the source to preserve maximum freshness, and it will not have to lie in warehouses or coffee shop shelf for ages waiting to be bought meaning it will be fresh when you get it.
3. Can be More Affordable
Contrary to what some people assume, coffee subscription box is often cheaper than what you buy at your local coffee shop. This is because with a subscription you will eliminate middlemen and other overhead costs and hence reducing the overall price.
4. You Get More Options
A coffee subscription box allows you to taste a wide variety of coffee types and flavors without ever leaving your house because most brands provide a huge catalog to choose from. The chances are with a coffee subscription you will even come across coffee types and flavors you never knew existed.
10 Best Coffee Subscription Boxes – Review
1. Atlas Coffee Club (Best Overall)
2. Blue Bottle Coffee Subscription Service (Highly Rated Pick)
3. Bean Box (The Go-To Brand for Coffee Samplers)
4. Driftaway Coffee (Personalized Coffee Subscription by a Small Business)
5. JavaPresse (Great Coffee by a Great Brand)
6. Crema (Unbeatable Variety)
7. MistoBox (One of the Most Popular Options)
8. Angels Cup (An Exciting Way to Enjoy Different Flavors)
9. Trade Coffee (Matching Up Coffee Lovers with their Favorite Coffee)
10. Nomad Coffee Club (A Taste of Different Specialty Coffee Every Month)
1. Atlas Coffee Club
2. Blue Bottle Coffee Subscription Service
(Highly Rated Pick)
3. Bean Box
(The Go-To Brand for Coffee Samplers)
4. Driftaway Coffee
(Personalized Coffee Subscription by a Small Business)
(Great Coffee by a Great Brand)
(One of the Most Popular Options)
8. Angels Cup
(An Exciting Way to Enjoy Different Flavors)
9. Trade Coffee
(Matching Up Coffee Lovers with their Favorite Coffee)
10. Nomad Coffee Club
(A Taste of Different Specialty Coffee Every Month)
1. Atlas Coffee Club – Best Overall
- Coffee Options: Single-origin in light to medium, medium to dark and an all roasts pack
- Order Frequency: 14 days and 30 days
- Quantity Options: 6 oz, 12 oz, and 24 oz
- First Minimal Order Cost: $9 (6 oz bag/ 15 cups, shipping cost included, for USA and Canada only)
Atlas Coffee Club is the way to go for everyone that wants to experience coffee from different parts of the world because with their subscription, you will get coffee from a new country every month.
Better yet, the coffee of the month club also delivers superior quality coffee from a single origin, and it can either be in the form of whole beans or ground coffee.
They have a variety of options to cater to all kinds of coffee drinkers starting with their more affordable 6-ounce half bag that goes for $9 and will be perfect for those that just want to try it out and light coffee drinkers.
You can choose whether to get your coffee every 2 weeks or monthly, and you also get to choose between light to medium roast, medium to dark roast and the all roast that mixes up different kinds of roasts.
Better yet, besides the coffee, you will get a few nice extras on the package which include a postcard from the country of origin, flavor notes and a brewing guide and hence also making it a perfect coffee gift option.
2. Blue Bottle Coffee Subscription Service – Highly Rated Pick
- Coffee Options: Single-origin assortment, blend assortment, espresso assortment, Bella Donovan, Giant Steps, Beta blend, Three Africas, Hayes Valley espresso, 17ft Ceiling espresso, Opascope espresso and night light decaf.
- Order Frequency: 14 days and 30 days
- Quantity Options: 6 oz, 12 oz, 24 oz, and 36 oz
- First Minimal Order Cost: $8 (6 oz bag/15 cups, shipping cost included for the US, Also ships to a limited number of other countries)
For starters, every coffee that Blue Bottle uses is sourced by hand to ensure they only use the finest quality beans and that it is sustainably grown.
Also, this brand offers more options than most other subscription box service provides and in three different categories which are the single origin, blends, and espresso which ensures there will be something for every coffee lover.
While their 30-day order period is the most popular, they also have a 2-week order frequency to ensure they cater for different user preferences. Although their service is often considered relatively pricier, you will be surprised to find that their coffee starts from as little as $8 for the 6-ounce half pack.
Better yet, besides the small 6-ounce pack, you can also get your coffee in other larger quantity options up to 36 ounces which ensures you can order as much as you like.
3. Bean Box – The Go-To Brand for Coffee Samplers
- Coffee Options: Bean box sampler (all roasts, light, medium, dark, espresso and decaf) and coffee of the month (all roasts, light, light+medium, medium, medium+dark, dark, espresso, and decaf)
- Order Frequency: 7 days, 14 days and 30 days
- Quantity Options: 7.2 oz and 12 oz
- First Minimal Order Cost: $19 (7.2 oz, bean box sampler) and $24 (12 oz bag/32 cups, coffee of the month), shipping cost not included, does not ship outside the US
For those that are looking for the best coffee sampler, Bean Box is the brand to go for as they have some amazing ones that will come in four 1.8-ounce packs to make a total of 7.2 ounces at only $19 per month. And they will also provide 6 roast options to choose from.
But, besides the sampler, they have a 12-ounce coffee of the month option that will be perfect for the regular coffee lovers. Besides being reasonably priced, this subscription option also comes in several options from an all roast mix to decaf.
Many coffee lovers that use Bean Box seem to appreciate the fact that besides being keenly sourced from the best coffee growing regions in the world, the beans are freshly roasted in the USA.
With this brand, you get more flexibility when it comes to the order frequency as you can order monthly, weekly and every other week depending on your preferences.
4. Driftaway Coffee – Personalized Coffee Subscription from a Small Business
- Coffee Options: Freshly roasted whole beans and ground cold brew coffee
- Order Frequency: 7 days, 14 days and 30 days
- Quantity Options: 7 oz, 11 oz, 16 oz, and 32 oz
- First Minimal Order Cost: $16 (7 oz bag/14 cups, shipping cost includes, also ships internationally)
The beauty of getting your coffee subscription from a small business is that you will always get a more personalized feel and service. And if this is what you are looking for, Driftaway Coffee is the best coffee of the month for you.
With this coffee subscription, you get more flexibility as you can order in batches that are small as 7 ounces or as large as 32 ounces for the heavy coffee drinkers.
Besides providing free shipping for every purchase, Driftaway also ships internationally with the cost added to the purchase price to ensure you can still enjoy their coffee regardless of where you are.
Apart from the freshly roasted beans which you can order weekly, biweekly and monthly, there is also a subscription option for the cold brew lovers.
When you make your order, you will first get a tasting kit with four 2-ounce packs which will allow you to choose the coffee you like most for your subscription.
5. JavaPresse – Great Coffee by a Great Brand
- Coffee Options: Light roast, medium roast, dark roast, and brewer's choice
- Order Frequency:14 days and 30 days
- Quantity Options: 1, 2, 3 or 4 12-ounce bags
- First Minimal Order Cost: $18.99 (12 oz bag/24 cups, shipping cost included, ships to the US only)
JavaPresse is a popular coffee brand that is known for both high-quality coffee and top-notch coffee grinders, and this fact should be enough indication that its coffee subscription service is also amazing.
The company uses only the finest coffee beans from coffee-producing countries known to produce high-quality coffee like Ethiopia. In their subscription plan, they try to cater for everyone by providing all the common roasts which are light, medium and dark and a brewer's choice option that allows you to get something different every month.
With their subscription, you get to choose 1 to 4 12-ounce bags and all come with free shipping. But what makes their coffee truly stand out is that the beans are always roasted 2 hours before shipping and when you buy their plan, you also get a free burr grinder.
6. Crema – Unbeatable Variety
- Coffee Options: light roast, medium roast, dark roast and decaf
- Order Frequency: 3, 5, 7, 10, 14, 21 and 30 days
- Quantity Options: 12 oz and 5 lbs
- First Minimal Order Cost: $16.5 (12 oz bag, shipping cost included, only shipped within the US)
Crema is a multiple roaster coffee subscription box that uses a unique “playlist” system to not only give users a pleasant variety but also allow them to mix up the kinds of coffee they order.
With Crema, you will always get a nice surprise when your coffee arrives as chances are after a while you will forget what is on your playlist for the next delivery date. With their coffee, you get to choose from all the standard roasts, and they also have decaf coffee.
Better yet, with all the coffee that they supply, you get a clear description of everything from where it comes from and both the growing conditions and processing procedure.
The coffee is also always single-origin, it is roasted to order and as close to packaging as possible to ensure maximum freshness when you get your beans.
At $16.5 for the 12-ounce bag, this is also a cheap coffee subscription, and it will save you more cash than most others on our list.
7. MistoBox – One of the Most Popular Options
- Coffee Options: Single, blend and espresso and both whole bean and ground in all roast types
- Order Frequency: 7 days, 21 days, 14 days and 30 days
- Quantity Options: 12 oz
- First Minimal Order Cost: $16.95 (12 oz bag, shipping cost included, ships within the US only)
Despite opening shop just a while back in 2011, MistoBox is now one of the most popular coffee subscription boxes, and more and more coffee lovers are opting for their service over many others.
What makes them a preferred option is that all their coffee is always sourced from the best quality beans, and you can also get 100% Arabica beans and single-origin coffee.
There are other options such as espresso and blends and MistoBox will always roast your coffee when you order it to ensure you always get the freshest beans possible.
For even further customization, the brand allows you to choose between whole beans and ground coffee, and they provide a more flexible order frequency as they have 4 different options.
8. Angels Cup – An Exciting Way to Enjoy Different Flavors
- Coffee Options: Whole beans and ground coffee in light, medium and dark roast options
- Order Frequency: 7 days, 14 days and 30 days
- Quantity Options: 32 grams samplers and 12 oz bag
- First Minimal Order Cost: $10.99 (4 smaller samples) and $19.99 (12 oz bag/16 mugs, shipping cost included, ships within the US for free and at an extra cost internationally)
For the coffee aficionados looking for an interesting way to try out new coffee flavors, Angels Cup offers the best subscription for you as they provide more than 200 flavor options to choose from.
Better yet, they make things even more interesting by ensuring you do not know the flavor that you get on your order.
This coffee of the month club also offers both full-size 12-ounce bags and 4 sample pack options to give you more variety. You can also choose between whole beans and ground coffee which is available in light, medium and dark roasts.
To ensure you get the freshest coffee possible, these beans are always roasted when you make your order and shipped for free within the USA and for a small cost internationally.
9. Trade Coffee – Matching Up Coffee Lovers with their Favorite Coffee
- Coffee Options: Ground and whole beans in light, medium and dark roasts
- Order Frequency: 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8 weeks
- Quantity Options:12 oz bags
- First Minimal Order Cost: $15 (12 oz bag, shipping cost included, ships only to the US)
Trade Coffee is another popular coffee subscription box and what makes many coffee drinkers turn to them is that they can match them up to their preferred coffee type and flavor thanks to their wide variety of options.
Also, many coffee lovers find the subscription process and ordering quite straightforward and besides being free, their shipping is relatively faster when compared to others.
You can subscribe for an order frequency of anywhere from 2 to 8 weeks, and you also get to choose from ground coffee and whole beans which are available in light, medium and dark roasts. You get to start the subscription with a trial bag at 15% less.
10. Nomad Coffee Club – A Taste of Different Specialty Coffee Every Month
- Coffee Options: Blends, single origins, and espressos
- Order Frequency: 30 days
- Quantity Options: 12 oz bags
- First Minimal Order Cost: $19 (12 oz bag/ 62 cups, shipping cost included, ships within the USA and Canada)
Nomad specializes at ensuring that coffee drinkers always get the freshest coffee possible by always roasting the beans when the order is placed.
But besides the freshly roasted whole beans, many coffee lovers seem to love the fact that this subscription service delivers a new flavor every month and hence allowing them to expand their coffee palate.
The coffee also uses specialty beans which are highly flavorful and will ensure you always get the finest quality cup of coffee. Better yet, you get to choose from blends, single-origins, and espressos which are further available in different roasts. And the shipping is free provided you are ordering in the US.
How to Choose Coffee Subscriptions Box
As more and more coffee drinkers get onto the coffee subscription box bandwagon, more brands offering the service are always coming up.
But, just like with coffee shops, not all will give you the service and coffee quality you want, and so you need to be very keen when choosing one. And to make sure you make a more informed decision, you should consider the following things when looking for one.
1. Your Coffee Consumption
To choose the best coffee of the month club, you will first need to check your coffee consumption. Before everything else, the service you choose should be able to fulfill your demand.
Also, these brands have different minimal order quantity, and sometimes this minimum can be too high for some light coffee drinkers which means a lot of coffee can end up getting wasted. Hence, first identifying your consumption will help you match your coffee subscription box to your specific needs.
2. Customer Service
Before you settle on any coffee subscription box service, you need to know that you will be in good hands. Issues are bound to arise at some point and without good customer service, you are likely to end getting disappointed.
Check what other coffee drinkers have to say about the coffee subscription brand to determine whether you will get good service or not. Also, how the company handles your queries before you sign up should give you an indication of the customer service to expect.
3. Customizing Coffee Types
Because different coffee lovers will have varying preferences, a good coffee subscription box is one that makes it possible for you to customize your experience and coffee types.
Coffee of the month club that provides a list of different flavors that they have for you to choose what you want will give you a better experience as you can even experiment with different flavors.
But also note that while some brands will let you know the coffee type or flavor that is coming to your mail, they will not allow you to make changes, but the good thing here is that at least you will know what to expect.
4. Single or Multiple Roaster
Coffee subscription boxes are generally classified into two categories which are single and multiple roasters, and this classification is based on where your coffee will come from.
Both options can still give you good coffee, but you need to know what you are getting with each to settle for what works best for you.
With the single roaster subscription, you always get coffee from one roaster that you prefer, and in many instances, you also get to choose the frequency of the deliveries.
For multiple roasters, on the other hand, there will be several coffee roasters that come together to offer the subscription box service, and so you will not be tied down to getting your coffee from the same roaster.
Hence, for multiple roasters, you can choose which roster to buy from and experiment with different options. Another advantage with multiple roasters is that you can easily customize your coffee order by deciding how much you want to get and when.
Price always matters when buying anything and subscribing to a coffee of the month club is not an exception as you will not want to get into something that you will not be able to afford in the long run.
Check how much the service charges for the coffee you want and watch out for other things like their shipping cost to determine whether you can afford it or not.
Before deciding on your coffee subscription, you should compare the prices that different options offer, and this does not necessarily mean you should settle for the cheapest. Instead, look for what gives you the best value for money.
A coffee subscription service saves you a lot of time and effort and also ensure you never run out of coffee as it will always be delivered at your doorstep.
With a coffee subscription, you also get more options to choose from without ever leaving your home and are more likely to get fresh coffee. However, all this is only true if you choose a good coffee subscription box service provider.
But by understanding your coffee consumption needs and by considering factors like price, service and the roaster type the subscription uses, finding the best coffee subscription box should be easier.
Furthermore, our list above highlights some of the best coffee subscriptions out there, and you can be certain there is at least one from the 10 that will meet your specific needs.
Note: All the information on the different coffee subscription box options above including prices are up to date (10/6/2019) as per the day of writing this article.